Can I be eligible for more than one program under Express Entry?

Yes. Depending on the information in your profile, you may be eligible for more than one program through Express Entry.

In that case, you will be invited to apply for one program based on this order:

  • Canadian Experience Class (CEC), then
  • Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), then
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP).

For example:

  • If you met the criteria for all three programs, the system would send you an invitation to apply for the CEC.
  • If you met the criteria for CEC and FSWP, you would also get an invitation to apply under the CEC.
  • If you met the criteria for FSWP and FSTP, you would get an invitation to apply under FSWP.

You can’t choose which program you are invited to apply for. The system will sort profiles based on the information you enter.

If you decline the invitation, the system will not re-invite you under the next program. You will go back in the pool, and if IRCC invites you again, the same order will apply.

I was found not eligible for Express Entry and I can’t change my profile. What do I do?

If you’ve been found not eligible, you will need to create a new profile. An ineligible profile is no longer valid so you can’t change it, even if you have new information.

You will still have to meet the Express Entry requirements that are in place. So, unless you made a mistake in your first profile or your circumstances have changed (for example, you have new language test results, you now have more work experience, etc.), there is a good chance you will be found ineligible again.

You can review the requirements to see which ones you did not meet. This can help you find what to do to meet the requirements so you can apply again.

How do I view my messages in my account?

To get messages about a specific application:

2. scroll down to the section “View my submitted applications or profiles”

3. click on the “Check status and messages” button in the last column


There you’ll see your application status and any messages about that application.

Click on the arrow next to the message you want to read.


The arrow will turn downward and you’ll see a line that says “To view this message, click here”. Click the link and the message will open in PDF format.

To get general messages about your account:

These messages are on the main account page at the bottom, under the heading “Account messages”.

A message in my account says my profile was updated. I didn’t update it today (or don’t see an update). What happened?

It may take up to 24 hours for the system to send a message saying that your profile has been updated.

For example, if you made a change on Monday, you may only receive a message from your account on Tuesday.

I accidently withdrew my Express Entry profile. How can I fix this?

If you withdrew your profile, you will need to create a new one if you want to enter the pool.

You will have to meet the Express Entry requirements in place at that time.

I already submitted my Express Entry profile. Can I still update it?

If you weren’t found eligible, you won’t be able to update your profile. You’ll have to create a new profile. Be sure your profile is complete and correct before you submit it.

If your profile was found eligible for the pool, you can still update it after you’ve submitted it. Follow these steps:

1. On the main page of your account, go to the section “View the applications you submitted”.

2. Click on “Check full application status”.

3. On the “Express Entry profile status” page, click on the “View your profile” under the heading “Your Express Entry profile status”.

4. On the “Express Entry profile” page, click on the “Update form” button for the section you want to change. Note: If the button only says “View form,” your profile wasn’t found eligible. You’ll have to submit a new one.

5. Make any changes you need to, and then click the “Save and exit” button at the bottom of the page.

6. Once you finish updating your profile, click on the “Continue” button at the bottom of the page. Follow the instructions provided to submit your updated profile.

Note: The “Revert changes” button will appear each time you enter a form and click on the “Save and exit” button, even if you didn't make any changes.

How do I withdraw my Express Entry profile?

To withdraw your profile:

1. On the main page of your account, go to the section “View the applications you submitted”

2. Click on the orange “Withdraw profile” button

3. Under the heading “What would you like to do today?” below the “Warning!” text, click on the orange “Continue” button.

If my Express Entry profile expires, will the system keep my information?

No, the system will not keep your information. IRCC had planned to allow the system to save profile information, so it would be easier to complete a new profile when the first one expired. They have found that this option is not possible at this time. Should the option become available in the future, IRCC will update this information online.

If your profile is about to expire, you must complete and submit a new one if you want to stay in the Express Entry pool.

You can save screen shots of your profile to make it easier to re-enter your data.

Do not create a new profile until your existing one expires. If you decide to create and submit a new profile before your existing one expires, you will need to withdraw your existing profile first.

Can I be invited to apply if I've lost my username or password?

Yes. If you’re invited to apply, you’ll get an email at the address you provided. The email will say that you have a new message in your account.

To accept or decline your invitation, you need to sign in to your account.

If you need to create a new account, you’ll need to link your application to your new account. You may need your profile or application number to do this. You can find this number at the end of the subject line of an email IRCC sent you (example: W300027607).

After you change your password or link your application, follow these steps:

1. Go back to the main page in your account.

2. Scroll down to the table under the heading “Continue an application you haven’t submitted.”

3. Find the application called:

  • "Work permit” for International Experience Canada, or
  • "Permanent residence” for Express Entry.

4. To accept your invitation to apply, click “Start application.”

If there’s no application, you can check the status and messages for your profile under the heading “View the applications you submitted.”


Can I use my existing Job Bank account to get matched with employers for Express Entry?

No. If you don’t already have a valid job offer, you can create a Job Match account in Job Bank using your Express Entry profile number and Job Seeker Validation Code. A Job Match account can help you start looking for work.

Once you complete your Express Entry profile, if you are found to meet most of the requirements to enter the pool, you should get a message in your account with this information.

If I am waiting for a new work permit and I have job offer points, do I have to remove the job offer from my Express Entry profile?

“Implied status” means you can stay in Canada and keep working while we make a decision on your application.

If you have implied status, and have applied to renew your work permit, you can keep working for the same employer under the same conditions. You are still eligible for job offer points during this time.

If you are invited to apply, your Express Entry profile answers will be carried forward to your online application for permanent residence. It will show that you have a valid work permit supported by an LMIA (if you need one) in a NOC 0, A or B job. You will not need to change the answers.

You must submit a copy of your LMIA with the application if your work permit was supported by an LMIA.

Note: The points you can get for a job offer has changed. You can now get:

  • 200 CRS points for a valid job offer in a NOC 00 job
  • 50 CRS points for a valid job offer in a NOC 0, NOC A or B job

I have been working in Canada for the last six months but didn’t get points for work experience. Why not?

Under the Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS), to be awarded points for skilled work experience, you must have been:

  • legally allowed to work in Canada in one or more jobs listed in Skill Type 0 or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification;
  • working full-time (or an equal amount in part-time), meaning 30 hours of work per week, and
  • working for at least one year in the 10-year period before the day we assign you points.

IRCC does not count work experience if you were:

  • studying full-time while you were working,
  • self-employed, or
  • not legally allowed to work in Canada.

Please note: Work experience does not need to be continuous to get points under the CRS. But, to qualify under the Federal Skilled Worker Program, you must have at least one year of continuous full-time paid work experience, either in Canada or abroad.