Can I have more than one Express Entry profile?

No. You may only have one profile at a time. This is set out in Canada’s immigration law.

Creating more than one profile will not give you a better chance at being invited or allow you to be invited under a different program.


Completing an Express Entry profile is the first step to immigrate to Canada permanently as a federal skilled worker. Completing an Express Entry profile does not guarantee that you will receive an Invitation to Apply for permanent residence. An Invitation to Apply for permanent residence will be based on your score and rank in the Express Entry pool using the Comprehensive Ranking System.

The online tool said I was eligible for Express Entry, but my completed profile says I’m not. Which one is right?

The online tool asks general questions to see if you may be eligible for one of the programs under Express Entry.

The Express Entry profile asks more specific and detailed questions about your qualifications. It is possible that after you gave more detailed information in your Express Entry profile that you are, in fact, not eligible.

Only a complete Express Entry profile can be used to fully assess if you are eligible.

How do I update my Express Entry profile before submitting it?

To update your profile, follow these steps:

1. Go to the main page of your account

2. Scroll down to “Continue my profile / application, not yet submitted”

3. Choose the line with your Express Entry Profile

4. Click “Continue Profile” button


Once you’re on the “Express Entry profile” page:

1. Click the “Update form” button for the “Form Name” you want to update

2. Make the changes you want to the fields

3. Click the “Save and exit” button at the bottom of page to go back to “Express Entry Profile” page.

How do I confirm that my Express Entry profile is complete?

To confirm that you profile is complete:

1. Go to the “Express Entry profile” page

2. Click the “Continue form” button for the section with the status “in progress”

3. Verify that all circles to the right have a green check mark 7pnfyzei9cqpl6iaaaaaelftksuqmcc in them.

If one section displays a progress bar Wnfbegomnqpigaaaabjru5erkjggg== instead of a green check mark, open the section and complete the missing information.

4. Click the “save and exit” button to save your changes and return to the “Express Entry profile” page.

Where can I find my Express Entry profile number and/or Job Seeker validation code?

You can find these numbers in a message in your account. To find it:

1. Log into your account

2. Go to the heading called "View my submitted applications or profiles"

3. Click on "Check status and messages"

4. Scroll down to the table called “Correspondence”

5. Click on the arrow in front of the message – it will open a drop-down menu with a link

5. Click on the link to open the PDF message

You can find the profile number at the top of the PDF letter (number 1 in the example below). The Job Seeker Validation Code should be under the section “To register with Job Bank” (number 2 in the example).


Make sure you are looking at the right message. If the text of the message doesn’t match the example above, check other messages in your account to find the right one.

If you did not get a code, there are a few reasons why this may be.

If there is no profile number, you should contact us using the Case Specific Enquiry form.

In an Express Entry profile, should I only include the minimum work experience needed to qualify for one of the programs, or should I include more?

To qualify for the broadest range of programs, including the Federal Skilled Worker Program, you should include work experience for the last 10 years. IRCC also needs this information for an application for permanent residence, no matter which program you are applying under.

In an Express Entry profile, what does the “date the applicant first became qualified to practice this occupation.” mean?

If you are listing a skilled trade (jobs with a four-digit NOC code that begins with 632, 633, 72, 73, 82, 92) as your primary occupation:

This is the date when you first became qualified to practice on your own in that trade (for example, when you moved from apprentice to fully qualified tradesperson).

Note: If you are being assessed for the Federal Skilled Trades program, work experience in a trade will only count if you are qualified to practice in that region.

If you are listing any other primary occupation:

This is the date when you finished the minimum level of education needed for the occupation according to the National Occupational Classification code. (Note: if the NOC only states high school, this is the date you graduated from high school.)

How do I fill out my Express Entry profile when I have implied status?

“Implied status” means you can stay in Canada and keep working while we make a decision on your application.

1) If you are working in Canada with implied status and are authorized to work in Canada at the time you complete your Express Entry profile:

Answer “yes” to the question “Does [your name] have a valid work permit for the current job in Canada?”

2) If you are working in Canada with implied status, are authorized to work in Canada, and the original work permit was supported by a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA):

Answer “yes” to the question “Was a positive LMIA issued for the current work permit?” Where it asks for the LMIA number, you should enter the number of the expired LMIA.

If (2) is true, for the question “Was a positive LMIA issued for the job offer in Canada?”

answer “no” if:

  • you are still working for the employer named on the original work permit, and
  • you have a job offer from your current employer for at least one year

answer “yes” if:

  • you are working for a different employer than the one named on the original work permit
  • you have a job offer from your new employer for at least one year and
  • your new employer has a positive LMIA.

What is GCKey?

A GCKey lets you securely access the Government of Canada’s online services.

It includes a username and password that you choose. You also must create security questions. This keeps your data secure and lets you recover your account.

What do I do if I lost my GCKey username or password?

If you lost your GCKey password, you can create a new password. Go to the sign-in page for GCKey and you’ll be able to create a new password after you answer the password recovery questions you previously set up while registering for a GCKey.

If you lost your GCKey username, you will have to create a new GCKey. If you create a new GCKey you can access an application by linking the application to your new account.

How do I change my GCKey password?

You can change your password after you sign in using GCKey. To change your password, you need to enter your current password and then create and confirm a new password.

Your password must:

  • be between 8 and 16 characters
  • have at least 1 upper case letter, 1 lower case letter and 1 number
  • not have 3 or more consecutive characters from your username

You can also change your password if you forgot it.

What is a personal reference code?

Your personal reference code is a unique code given to you through Come to Canada, our online eligibility tool. You’ll need to enter this code to:

  • begin an online application for a visitor visa, study or work permit or
  • carry your information from Come to Canada over to an Express Entry profile

You can find your personal reference code at the top of your results page after you answer all the questions in the tool.

You should write it down and print a copy of your results and/or checklist. This code is only valid for 60 days from the date you get it.

Why didn’t I get points for my job offer in Express Entry?

To get points from the Comprehensive Ranking System for a job offer in Express Entry, your employer will usually need to get a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

You should only answer “Yes” to the question “Does [your name] have a job offer in Canada?” if:

  • a Canadian employer (or up to two for the Federal Skilled Trades Program)
  • that job offer is supported by an LMIA, OR
  • the job is exempt from needing an LMIA.

If you are currently working in Canada but have not been offered a job that is supported by a LMIA (or is exempt from needing one), you should:

Note: From January 1, 2015 to November 19, 2016, jobs offers that didn’t need an LMIA were not considered valid for Express Entry. IRCC now accepts certain job offers that don’t need an LMIA.

There is no National Occupation Classification (NOC) code on my work permit. What should I put in my Express Entry profile?

If there is no National Occupational Classification (NOC) code on your work permit, you should find and use the NOC code of the job you are currently doing in Canada.

Do I need to include proof of funds for Express Entry?

You will be asked to enter in your Express Entry profile the amount of money you will have to help you settle in Canada. This is to show that you can support yourself and any family who come with you to Canada, and helps IRCC assess which programs you may be eligible for.

You will only need to meet the settlement fund requirement if it applies to the program you are invited to apply under.

If you are invited to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker Program or Federal Skilled Trades Program, you will need to show that you meet the settlement funds requirement unless you:

  • are currently authorized to work in Canada, and
  • have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada.

For proof, you must get official letters from any banks or financial institutions where you are keeping money.

Letter(s) must list:

  • all current bank and investment accounts
  • outstanding debts such as credit card debts and loans

Note: You do not have to meet the funds requirement if you were invited to apply under the Canadian Experience Class.

The system currently asks all applicants to provide a proof of funds document. If you don’t need to provide proof of funds, you must upload a letter explaining either that you have been invited to apply under the Canadian Experience Class, or that you have a valid job offer.

technical issues

In my online profile or application I am getting validation errors or it tells me that fields are incomplete when they are not. What do I do?

You may want to try using a different Web browser such as Firefox or Google Chrome. You should also check your browser’s language settings and make sure it is set to English or French as special characters can cause errors.

If you are still having a problem, try clearing your browser cache. Your browser’s Help section can tell you how to do this. If the problem continues, you can contact IRCC.

My personal reference code is not working. What should I do?

If you already started to create an Express Entry profile in your account, the reference code won’t work. To continue your profile:

1. go to the “View the applications you submitted” section at the top of your account page

2. choose the line with your Express Entry profile

3. click the “Continue Profile” button

If you have not started creating your profile, you will have to go through the Come to Canada tool again for a new reference code.

Some fields in my Express Entry profile are greyed out and I can’t change them. How do I update them?

This is an example of greyed out fields in your Express Entry profile:

In some places, the fields will be coloured gray, and you will not be able to update them. (A red circle with a diagonal line Ucnzl8bl7qlq8isdiwaaaaasuvork5cyii= will also appear when you mouse over the field.) This is because the information was brought forward from the first tool (Come to Canada) you completed. To update them, you will have to update them in the previous step. To do this:

1) From the “Express Entry Profile” page:

2) Click on the “Modify Family Information” button at the top of the page: